Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kington to Knighton

First let me tell you that when you have to go wee in the English countryside-check for nettles. That's all I'm going to say on the subject. :-(

Hard, hard walk from Kington to Knighton. You start with a very steep climb-and my shoes were laced too tightly so my calves cramped. Not good-big hill.

I fixed that and was fine till after lunch when I noticed a rather large hill and asked, "Do we go over that hill?" Of course we did! 1900 feet. Then down and three more miles into town. My feet hurt, my right knee is swollen, my left ankle is swollen.

The next two days are the most difficult of the entire path. I will be playing tourist in Bishop's Castle. The wife of one of the other walkers is taking tomorrow off-so we will have lunch. She just joined us.

We have two other new walkers-one brought his flask. Very nice on a windy hill!

I have mine-so we compared Scottish Whiskey and Kentucky Bourbon.

Oh, we laughed today! Even though it was hard, Pam, Bill and I laughed. I had packed a few extra Welsh Cakes and at the end-when we thought we'd never get there-she asked if I had any food-so we shared the Cakes(and we split my scone on the way home in the van)

The hot tea(with sugar)is a godsend.

Fabulous breakfast from Jane in Old Time this morning! Eggs, bacan-fabulous bread! I slept very well last night-very quiet-marvelous bed. When you've walked 15 miles over very high, steep hills-then down those hils-with rain, sun, hot, cold, wind, did I mention rain?-you sleep very well.

There is a tray for tea in my room-which I'm going to make soon, and jane dried my clothes I left in the shower! Old Time-Bishop's Castle! Great in every way.

I must mention Alan and Pam-our leaders. They are so very nice.

Hi Cara! Hi Noah! Hi Eric!

No comments:

Post a Comment