Monday, July 20, 2009

Chester

Lovely day.

My hostess here at Syn y Dwr graciously took me into Chester today.

It was amazing! Roman ruins, an ancient wall, a 900 year old cathedral...ancient buildings with shops-lots of shops.

We took the Park and Ride into the city, then split up. I made my way to the tourist information center where there were about 12 loud, pushy Americans. They kept asking the poor woman behind the counter which tour they should take, all the details, the cost-yada yada. The info was right on the pamphlet! Finally I escused my way in and asked about the train from Chirk to manchester-getting a "humph!" from the rudest one. The nice tourist lady directed me to the train station.

I left her with the rude ones and set off.

It was an easy walk, the ticket people were helpful and I have my ticket for the 22nd-Chirk to Chester to Crewe to Manchester. I will stay there the 22nd and 23rd-flying out the morning of the 24th.

I will arrive in Pittsburgh at 2:52.

Maggie will be at the house waiting for me! She won't speak to me-I know it.

So, then I walked back to the Info station to thank the lady and went walking. i spent most of the afternoon in the Cathedral-I'd never seen one that old before! It was amazing to think about that being built by hand. Amazing people-those stone masons!

I walked around the shops and stopped for a nice welsh native cattle meat cheeseburger and fries. Oh, it was good.

I found a shop that sold homemade Cornis pasteys-bought 2.

I met Kath, we went to the car-then she took me on a little side trip to see the famous aqueduct. (Name tomorrow-have to make sure I spell it right)

I rested then took a little walk along the canal-met more boat people and have some nice pics.

Everyone I've met has been marvelous.

Tomorrow I will golf, eat lunch, nap then walk the 5 miles to LLangollen to meet the others. Pam will drive me back here.

Oh! The jams here are delicious and home made!

Hi Cara

1 comment:

  1. Hey, J.h. broke her foot . She did not golf today (Tue)

    Got a new grip for my driver,now it goes as far as yours. Had a 48 today.

    ReplyDelete