Monday, June 7, 2010

You walk sixteen miles and what do you get?

Another day older and deeper in debt.......
No, you get very sore feet and a black big right toe.  It rubbed against the shoe.
We started in Caldbeck and walked up the 2200 foot High Pike, not too bad......if it hadn't been pouring rain.
We couldn't see any other fells at the summit because of the mist(read...dense, soaking fog)  The way down was steep, boggy, wet and treacherous, so we stopped at Linky Hut(an old shepherd's hut) for lunch...then walked twelve more miles through some desolate valleys to Keswick.  Beautiful after the rain stopped,but by that time I had injured my big right toe, stepped in mud up to my ankle and a stream up to my other ankle.  I was very glad to get back to Keswick.  If you aren't sure about walking 16 hard, hard miles, do not attempt this.  There is no way out once you start down the other side of High Pike...other than helicopter.
Pam and I invited Steven for dinner tonight because there are only six of us, and the mother and daughter from the US are nice, but shy.  Pam made her poached eggs, bacon, beans, mushrooms and tomatoes tonight!  Delicious!  I'll make it when I get home.
Rough, rough day, but a lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment