Sunday, June 6, 2010

first day of the walk

We started in Carkiske today, walking the Cumbria Way North to South.  The beginning of the walk wasn't too scenic, too much city, and we walked on a concrete bike path for the first four or so miles.  Watch out for bikes, dogs and dog doo. Too many irresponsible dog owners.  There is a little part that is confusing, so consult your guide book carefully.  Our guide, Graham is going to write a guide book for North to South.

Once you're out in the countryside the way is clear, because it is the path.  You follow the river Caldew...keeping it on your left!  There are some lovely buildings, Rose Castle and the Lime School.  There is a church that has coffee and tea making facilities, but no loo.  No matter, plenty of bushes on the Way.!

The last four miles are a bit rough, especially if you messed up your right heel two weeks before you started your walk!  There is a bit uphill and down, but it isn't too bad.  When you get into Caldbeck(Day one is 15.51 miles)there is a lovely little teahouse, and there are some pubs.  All in all, a nice day.


As for today, I hurt the whole way because of my heel.  But have taken aspirin and will walk tomorrow regardless!!!!!  Oh!  I fell this morning...before we even got to the meeting place!  Pam told me to look at this sign for Borrowdale, which I did, and...I fell..on my knees.  My left knee bled quite a bit, my right knee is just scraped.  They are fine.  It's my heel.   Oh, There is a hole in my left pant leg...from the fall.

So, I am a clutz.

No comments:

Post a Comment