Monday, June 21, 2010

Day Two of The Cumbria Way. Caldbeck to Keswick

Hi all.

On the second day of the Cumbria Way we walked 16 miles from Caldbeck to Keswick.  Very hard 16 miles.  We first walked up the 2600 feet of High Pike, a boggish, treeless, trackless hill.  We had lunch in an old bothy(shepherd's cabin)on the way down, then walked through bogs for another 12 miles.  Not a good day for me.  This is where I hurt my toe with the repeated slamming of the toe into the inside of the shoe on the steep descent.  Yes, it hurt like bloody hell.  It rained most of the day, but we ended in sunshine. 

When I got back to the cottage and took my shoes and socks off my right big toe was a lovely deep purple and very sore, so I decided not to chance the third day.

It is a lovely walk through one of the most desolate valleys in England.  Yes, that is a very narrow path along a steep valley.  We were about 300 feet up from the valley floor. 

I was very glad to get home that evening.

This is not a section to attempt if you are not in good shape.  I walk 6 to 9 miles every day at home and add in training on my bike, and I found it hard.  Much of the way is trackless, and once you start in there is no way out other than to finish or retrace your steps.  There may not be phone service along this part.  Take someone with you.  Take lots of water and food because it is difficult.

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/multreda/Cumbrian%20Way/?action=view&current=591529bd.pbw

No comments:

Post a Comment