Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Days One and Two

I flew Aer Lingus because I got the flight for $800.00.  I use Kayak and Booking Buddy to find flights and this was a tough one!  The prices were stuck at $1400.00 for the longest time, but one Tuesday I found the $800.00 flight and jumped on it!  That was a few weeks before the trip.  I guess the lesson is to be patient!

I found a very lightweight wheeled duffel at ebags for $30.00...quite large but without the center supports for the handle, so I can roll it up when I'm done with it. I packed rather light, but did take two pairs of hiking shoes.  My list included: 6 pairs of undies, 3 bras, long underwear, two pairs of: cropped pants, shorts, pants.  I wore jeans to travel in.  4 pairs of socks, sandals, one pair nice cropped pants.  2 wool t-shirts, fleece, wooly hat, gloves, neck gaiter, wool vest, rain pants and jacket, rain hat, umbrella.  In my carryon I took food, books, knitting.  Yes, you can take the needles, but the should be bamboo.

I also packed my backpack while I carried the lighter one.  I always have a penknife, food, flashlight, sink stopper, conversion plugs.  I just got myself a new netbook.

I would buy shampoo over there.  I also found a tiny hairdryer!  I will post about these things tomorrow.  I have onions to clean tonight.

My friend picked me up at 2:00 and dropped me off at the Pittsburgh Airport at 3.  Security, baggage...all that and I was at the Jet Blue gate.  Pittsburgh is pretty fast.  Took off, landed at JFK, collected my wheeled duffel and found Aer Lingus check-in.  Pain in the ass!  Oh! it was terrible!  I did get a cart for the duffel because it was too heavy to pull well, and I had a long way to go,  I made sure I had an aisle seat because I get up every hour.  If you ask for the middle of the last row in the Airbus 330 you may well be alone.  Check Baggage, go through security again.  Evidently an Air India flight leaves around the same time as the Aer Lingus, so about 300 Indian nationals were at security to wave good bye.  WTF?  Most people drop you off in front!  .  I fought my way through the crowd, found my gate for AL and settled in.  It was very confusing.

Flight was choppy and some man talked the whole way...6 hours.  I popped in the earphones, turned Tony Bennet up and slept.  Landed in Dublin the next morning...you guessed it...customs and more security.  I hate security.  Then I waited for five hours.  They have a nice pub in the Dublin airport!  It was a long trip but I saved over $400.00.

Took off, landed in Birmingham, collected the baggage....and went out to see..another 300 Indians waiting to greet a plane coming in from India.  Fought my way through that crowd, made it to the sidewalk and called Pam-who had just parked and was looking at me!  Big hugs, in the car, off to Kidderminster!  We had a lovely dinner, talked a bit and I went to bed.  I was beat.

Next morning we set off for Keswick!  We stopped at this wonderful Tudor house on the way, and had a picnic lunch there.  Their coat of arms has a greyhound!  We spent a long time there-wonderful place.  Free with a National Trust card.

Evidently they were Royalist during the civil War, had farmers take over till the land and house were donated to the Trust.

Then off again to Keswick!   We found our cottage in Keswick, unpacked, had dinner...watched a little TV and crashed.

Pam is great for taking me to interesting places.  I was astounded by the beauty of the Lake District, and was glad we were in Keswick and not one of the more touristy towns.  Pam has done quite a bit of walking and climbing in the Lake District, and I watched all of the Wainright Walks on TV, so it was wonderful to be there!

Here is the slide show for day one and two:  http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/multreda/Cumbrian%20Way/?action=view&current=283311d3.pbw

No comments:

Post a Comment