Sunday, July 25, 2010

Castlerigg Standing Stones

Some friends of mine suggested going to see the Castlerigg Standing Stones while I was in the Lake District, and since I had never heard of them I Googled them, read a bit about them and suggested to Pam that we go.  I did not mention them before because I want to talk about them on their own.  On the morning of June 5th Pam and I started our sightseeing(which ended with the Beatrix Potter place for the other day).

I love going to ancient spiritual sites because I feel they still hold their magic.  You go to these places, especially on a misty, cool early morning and you can sense the spirit of the people who built them.  We had such a morning.  I do love how there are sheep at these national heritage sites!  I imagine there were some sort of sheep there 4000 years ago.  The mountains were swathed in clouds and mist, very few people were there, and the air was damp and chilly.  I could easily picture the scene as it was 4000 years ago...and I always like to think that some of the people who live in the area, or who were there that morning are descended from the people who built it.  Great book: "Blood of the Isles" by Bryan Sykes about the DNA of the people of the British isles....Worth a read.

So, we spent some time at the site, read about it on the little marker, took in the views of the surrounding hills.  Now, how to get there...I have no idea.  Pam drove.  I know it isn't far from Keswick.  Sorry.

I like to think about the ancient people and how they may have gathered there for the Summer Solstice, or the Winter Solstice, how happy they must have been in Winter when the days started to get longer(just as I am).  I think about why they chose that place, how they found the stones, how they moved them.  I also think about what happened to them and where their descendants are now. 

So, I have given you several places to see on your next visit to the Lake District.  Oh!  Don't forget "George Cottage", where we stayed in Keswick.  I will be posting the links when I finish the commentary.

One more thing!  This is where I met a border terrier for the first time!  Fabulous dogs!

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/multreda/Cumbrian%20Way/?action=view&current=48f7bd78.pbw

No comments:

Post a Comment