Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Dreaded Switchbacks of Offa's Dyke Bugger Offa!


Well, this was the day-the switchback day. It was like climbing a mountain-but in several parts. I mean, we climbed at least five different 300+ foot hills-almost vertical-then stumbled down the other side. Then, for fun walked and walked and walked-and walked an extra two miles to make it to Montgomery to meet our van.

My feet hurt, my knees hurt, my arse hurt. (I fell once) I did not go the next day. I do need to train more on hills for next year's walk-and to be more mentally ready for the distance.

But, when the sweat wasn't dripping in my eyes, and I wasn't stopping to breathe-it was stunning. And I gelt a great sense of accomplishment that I did this day.

I am amazed at the good condition of the Dyke in this stretch-after over a thousand years of being there. Oh, this was the day I learned to watch for stinging nettles when I took a "comfort stop". Yeah.....

No comments:

Post a Comment